Anyone who regularly reads the Bellingham Herald online recognizes popup ads (esp. Netflix)as a serious local issue. I started referring to them as poopups because they, well , leave little piles of poop around my screen the way the dog leaves it in the backyard.
Here’s a copy of and E-How article that addresses the problem. Blocking 3rd party cookies as described in Step 1 has always seemed annoying because I’m continually being told by websites, that I need to allow them. I’ve been using the method outlined in steps 2 to 5 for quite sometime and it seems to have effectively diapered the dog. Don’t let it scare you, it really is quite simple.
- The easy way: Block 3rd party cookies. However, this method does not guarantee all Flash popups and every instance of Netflix ad will be blocked.
Open Firefox browser. From the top window menu, go to Tools > Options > Privacy. Disable the “Accept 3rd Party cookies” by unchecking the box next to this item. Click OK to finish and exit. You do not need to restart the Firefox to have this take effect.
- The sure way (Steps 2 to 5): Change the Firefox configuration on how it behaves to Flash ads.
Open Firefox browser. On the address bar, type “about:config” (less the quotation marks). A warning message will show, click on the “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button.
- Right-click once any empty area on the configuration list, when it shows. Select “New” on the drop-down list, and choose “Integer”.
- In the Integer text field, type in: privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
Type as it is, including the underscore (aka. understrike; low dash) in the string. Or, just copy-paste the above string and fill it in the text field.
- Enter a value for the integer. Refer to list:
• 0: Allow popups from plugins, no blocking
• 1: Allow limited popups, according to dom.popup_maximum
• 2: Block popups from plugins
• 3: Block all popups from sites, including bookmarks/favorites
Use numbers 2 or 3 for the integer value. Click OK to finish. Firefox 3.5 will block any Flash popups from now on when you are on the Internet, and works better than article Step 1 method. Firefox will make the change without restart.